Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another Person's Treasure

On my way out of the office earlier this week I stopped to chat with a coworker.  He lives between my house and the office and walks to work so I often pass him, ringing my bell to greet him.  He commented on the fact that I'm on a different bike darned near every day which of course, started a conversation about bikes in general.  Having been born and raised in the Netherlands and having read the recent big-paper press on bikes lately, he asked if I had a dutch city bike in my collection.  I told him no but raved about the new French mixte.  He then proceeded to launch into a very funny rant of sorts about those "damn old heavy dutch things" he was forced to ride growing up.  "I wouldn't be caught dead on one of those things today."  I laughed and laughed.  It made me think of the time when I probably wouldn't have been caught dead on bikes of my childhood.



1 comment:

  1. There was an interesting corallary in architecture- people in the 50's and 60's tore down or abused lovely beaux-arts and victorian buildings to install "up to date" inventions like dropped ceiling tiles, vinyl floor and pressed wood panels. We turn away from what we know, looking for "progress"

    ReplyDelete