Wednesday, May 19, 2010

LGRAB Summer Games Update

One of the activities in this first round of the Lets Go Ride a Bike Summer Games is to "leave a nice note on a bike, or say hi to a cyclist at a red light."  I routinely try and chat it up with my fellow commuters.  Since my commute is along a highly traveled bike route in a residential area, its often easy to chat with folks and occassionally I run into people I know.  It's always interesting to see how folks react to conversation when stopped at lights.  Some are obviously in the zone and don't want to be bothered.  Most are friendly and occassionally I find someone who's as big of a bike geek as I am and we talk until I get to my street.

In the mornings I often end up with groups of kids and their parents on the way to school.  It's great to chat it up with the kids who are obviously having a great time biking to school.  My neighborhood is very bike friendly.  There's a monthly family bike ride which takes place each summer and has been steadily in play for eight years now. We try to participate as often as possible.  It's a great way to connect with our neighbors and the local businesses are fantastic supporters. We also have the Bike Depot which is a fantastic resource for everyone in the community. 

When I ride Mrs. Gale folks often comment on her and of course I'm more than happy to tell them way more about her than they ever expect to hear.  This morning was one of those times.  Twice, my "hello's" were followed by "Nice ride!" Yep....I smiled.

1 comment:

  1. I like the doses of 'happy' 'hellos' and yup...
    xxoxox.m

    ReplyDelete